I read this article by Liz Pulliam Weston. I disagreed with 9 of the 10 items. Not because I thought those items necessarily shouldn't be bought used, but I really saw no reason not to/good reasons to buy them new. Basically, I don't think there is ever a good reason to NEVER buy something new if that's what you want. I a bigger fan of sales.
Here is the list (if you want to see her reasons and exceptions, read the article):
1) Books
2) DVDs and CDs
3) Little Kids' Toys
4) Jewelry
5) Sports Equipment
6) Timeshares
7) Cars
8) Software and Console games
9) Office Furniture
10) Hand Tools
Here are my comments:
1) Books - This is the only one I agree with. Books are ridiculously expensive, and I very rarely read a book more than once. I just go to the library, because I get to read my book for free and then it's not cluttering up my house later. This exception I can think of (which she did not mention) is children books. I will still read Dr. Seuss books (in English as well as other languages), and I'm sure you'd get your money's worth if the kid is reading them a lot (maybe that's why they're so god-awful expensive).
2) DVDs and CDs - I have no problem with buying these used. Actually, I hardly ever buy CDs and most of the DVDs are from Blockbuster when you can the 4 for $20 on "previously viewed" DVDs. However, you do run the risk of them being scratched. Good reasons to buy them new: You want them when as soon as they come out and/or you know you'll watch/listen multiple times and want to wear them out yourself.
3) Little Kids' Toys - This is one I actually think should be bought new. Kids are germ factories and do pretty gross things to their toys. I once used the toilet as a pool for my dolls. I would not to give my kids a toy that had been in some one's toilet.
4) Jewelry - Umm...why the hell would I want someone else's used jewelry? Weston suggests going to a porn shop. No, Jewelry is freakin' supposed to be shiny and new. The only used jewelry I want (and have) is passed down from relatives.
5) Sports Equipment - My initial reaction when I read this was "EWWWW!" But Weston did say that the exception would be shoes, gloves, stuff that molds to the body. But still, if you're going out to buy this equipment, why wouldn't you want new stuff?
6) Timeshares - I know nothing about theses, so I really don't have an opinion.
7) Cars - I have a used car, I haven't had too many problems with it, but my dad bought his car new. We (because my mom and I had to throw in our two cents) were able to get everything we wanted (dual heating controls, cd player, spoiler, etc). If you like to get a new/different car every couple years, then I would say leasing or buying a used would be the way to go. But if you're like my fam (my parents keep their cars for at least a decade, and I've had mine for almost 6 years), I see no reason not to buy a new car.
8) Software and Console games - Like the DVDs, you run the risk of the disks being messed up. More so with games because they are played so much. Also, last time I was looking at video games, the price for a new copy was $60 and the used was $55. Five bucks does not seem worth the risk. Also, Weston says that waiting a few months will reduce the cost the games and also will give other people time to find the problems. Well, if you wait and then purchase the games, this does not mean they're used. If they're still in their cellophane wrappers, they're new.
9) Office Furniture - This is something you're going to use ever day, why not get it new?
10) Hand Tools - Huh? Are these things really that expensive you can't just buy them new?
Here is the list (if you want to see her reasons and exceptions, read the article):
1) Books
2) DVDs and CDs
3) Little Kids' Toys
4) Jewelry
5) Sports Equipment
6) Timeshares
7) Cars
8) Software and Console games
9) Office Furniture
10) Hand Tools
Here are my comments:
1) Books - This is the only one I agree with. Books are ridiculously expensive, and I very rarely read a book more than once. I just go to the library, because I get to read my book for free and then it's not cluttering up my house later. This exception I can think of (which she did not mention) is children books. I will still read Dr. Seuss books (in English as well as other languages), and I'm sure you'd get your money's worth if the kid is reading them a lot (maybe that's why they're so god-awful expensive).
2) DVDs and CDs - I have no problem with buying these used. Actually, I hardly ever buy CDs and most of the DVDs are from Blockbuster when you can the 4 for $20 on "previously viewed" DVDs. However, you do run the risk of them being scratched. Good reasons to buy them new: You want them when as soon as they come out and/or you know you'll watch/listen multiple times and want to wear them out yourself.
3) Little Kids' Toys - This is one I actually think should be bought new. Kids are germ factories and do pretty gross things to their toys. I once used the toilet as a pool for my dolls. I would not to give my kids a toy that had been in some one's toilet.
4) Jewelry - Umm...why the hell would I want someone else's used jewelry? Weston suggests going to a porn shop. No, Jewelry is freakin' supposed to be shiny and new. The only used jewelry I want (and have) is passed down from relatives.
5) Sports Equipment - My initial reaction when I read this was "EWWWW!" But Weston did say that the exception would be shoes, gloves, stuff that molds to the body. But still, if you're going out to buy this equipment, why wouldn't you want new stuff?
6) Timeshares - I know nothing about theses, so I really don't have an opinion.
7) Cars - I have a used car, I haven't had too many problems with it, but my dad bought his car new. We (because my mom and I had to throw in our two cents) were able to get everything we wanted (dual heating controls, cd player, spoiler, etc). If you like to get a new/different car every couple years, then I would say leasing or buying a used would be the way to go. But if you're like my fam (my parents keep their cars for at least a decade, and I've had mine for almost 6 years), I see no reason not to buy a new car.
8) Software and Console games - Like the DVDs, you run the risk of the disks being messed up. More so with games because they are played so much. Also, last time I was looking at video games, the price for a new copy was $60 and the used was $55. Five bucks does not seem worth the risk. Also, Weston says that waiting a few months will reduce the cost the games and also will give other people time to find the problems. Well, if you wait and then purchase the games, this does not mean they're used. If they're still in their cellophane wrappers, they're new.
9) Office Furniture - This is something you're going to use ever day, why not get it new?
10) Hand Tools - Huh? Are these things really that expensive you can't just buy them new?
No comments:
Post a Comment