Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I Don't Know, Leave a Message!

I've been the receptionist at work since Friday (the actual reception is on vacation). Yesterday, a woman from some magazine or publication called asking for information about the CIO and who works for him. I do not know the hierarchy of the entire organization. I also don't even know his direct reports especially because it has changed recently. I helped her as best as I could then transferred her to the CIO. He doesn't have an assistant, so we send all calls to his voicemail. Instead of leaving a message, she called back and asked about an assistant. I told her he didn't have one and offered to transfer her to the IT Manager. When his phone went to voicemail, she called me back and started asking the same questions that I already told her I didn't know. I assured her that Sean was in the office and if she left a message he would get back to her, but she wanted to know right now. I transferred her to HR since she was asking about employees. Once again she got a voicemail, and once again, she wouldn't just leave a message even though I assured her the person was in the office.

Then she said, "Well the president might know," so I tried transferring her to the CEO's assistant, who also thought it was an HR question. Finally, the woman asked for some one in customer service, which I really didn't think would be able to help her, but she stopped calling back.

Today she called back -from a blocked number. She asked similar questions and I tried transferring her to three people, which all went to voicemail (two of those people were here, but one was on vacation). The last voicemail mentioned our hotholine and the extension number. She asked about this number. When I explained to her that was the number to call for computer problems, she thanked me and (hopefully) finally gave up.

No comments: