I know this a little late, but now I'm at home with internet that actually works...
On Good Friday, I went to Stations of the Cross with the Pope at the coliseum. It was actually pretty cult-like: Millions (probably an exaggeration) of people gathered around around with candles listening to one person and then chanting in a foreign language (Latin)...all that was mission was the Kool-Aid.
It was actually pretty cool. I got a little worried after they said the first station in 7 different languages (Italian, French, English, German, Spanish, Portuguese, and another one I couldn't identify) because I thought the whole thing was going to be repeated 7 times. Luckily, it was in Italian, and just the "titles" of the stations were repeated. I also got lucky because a priest who was standing near me was translating the Italian to English for a couple people.
Trying to get home was a bitch. It was too late to take the metro, so we had to take a bus. We had to take a bus to Termini and then get another one home. Usually, this wouldn't have been bad, but because of the tourists, it was fucking hell. First, it took forever for the bus to get to Termini, then the bus home was crowded there was no way we were going to fit. We decided to not even bother waiting for the next bus, because it would be just as bad, so we went to get a cab. There was a line, but we didn't have to wait too long because a bunch of taxis kept coming. Apparently, we were supposed to be waiting at the corner, so this cabby was getting all pissed off and wouldn't pick up anyone until we moved. None of the girls wanted to give this jackass any business, but we wanted to get home. 15 euros later, we were finally at the Residence.
On Sunday, we had tickets to Easter mass given by the Pope in St. Peter's Square. It was a cool experience, but it was so crowed and so hot. Then everyone started moving forward to try to get communion. My roommates decided that'd be a good time to leave, so we went to a cafe for some cappuccini and pastries.
I went to my cousin's for Easter dinner. She made: hard-boiled eggs, stuffed artichokes, lamb, and her mother-in-law made a ricotta pie just like my grandmother used to make (she hasn't made in a few years, so it was awesome to have it again). After dinner, the "kids" (Andrea and Laura, who are about 14 and me) opened our chocolate eggs (Italy's version of the Easter Basket). Even though my mother thinks I'm too old, apparently no one else does.
When I got back to the Residence, the girls were making their Easter dinner. They were making fish, but unfortunately, it wasn't filleted, so Meg had to behead and gut three fish. It was so gross, I can't believe she did it. At least the result was delicious.
We ended the night by stopping by the toga party next door.
No comments:
Post a Comment