Thursday, April 13, 2006

Money

Besides the fact that I don't have any, I have another complaint about the stuff that makes the world go 'round...

First of all, the largest bill they have in Europe, is the Five; the rest are coins (2 and 1 euros, 50, 20, 10, 5, 2, 1 cents). At first this was really difficult to deal with. I never knew if I was getting the right change or getting screwed. Now, I'm used to it, so it's really not a problem.

Next...Everyone in this country wants exact change. Now this isn't that surprising with the small little stores or the market, but big museums like the Vatican?? Come on, you have millions of people a year, get some fucking change. To make this even worse, the damn ATMs love to give you 50's. One of them (the one by school) only gives 50's. The one near the Residence and some other ones will give you mostly 50's and then smaller ones for the rest.

I find in surprising in the US with major chain stores, the largest bill the ATM will give is a $20 (i've taken out a couple hundred bucks and still haven't gotten anything bigger), but in a country fill of small family stores, they give you 50's.

A friend's theory: They printed too many 50's when they switched to the euro.

Also, the change machine in the laundry doesn't always give you the right amount. When a 5 is put in, sometimes 4 euro coins come out, sometimes 6.

Finally, the vending machines at school don't always give the correct change (or any at all). Cappuccinos and espressos cost 35 cents, but if you put in 40 cents, you're not gonna get the 5 cents back.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You know, we have normal people money here. Who's fault is it that you ran away to Europe?

PS..... DEAD TO ME!!!!